Ready Player One New Spielberg.....curious
kelpzoidzl
2018-02-26 03:43:10 UTC

s***@hotmail.com
2018-02-26 06:59:12 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
http://youtu.be/cSp1dM2Vj48
The "Ready Player One" book is seven years old, so VR warfare, surveillance drones and 'Second Life' avatar realms are already old hat. The protagonist even has to dress in a body suit for game motion sensing, which Kinect makes passé. It needed a more retro arcade production design for the VR scenes, as it's an uphill battle to make *grim* feel exciting. Beyond the "Willy Wonka" egg hunt, which makes someone a billionaire, will there be an original story inside? I usually see Spielberg's movies, so I'll guess I'll find out.
Post by kelpzoidzl
The hype is growing on "Annihilation."
Death of cinema, again, as "draws comparisons" = not very original. Cribbing from high-brow sci-fi is never enough. Reviews on this are so-so.
Post by kelpzoidzl
I refused to see "Mother!"
I saw it immediately and had the opposite reaction. Maybe the studio releasing it wide with lots of mystery box hype deflated it for me, because it felt more like a short subject stretched-out to be as raucous as possible.

Have you seen last year's, "A ghost story"? I missed it in the cinemas but found it on Blu-ray. It's a smaller movie which allows in some bigger concepts.

I also think you might like, "Coherence," which I saw in 2014 when it was briefly at the TIFF.

https://onemovieourviews.com/2014/09/19/tiff-bell-lightbox-release-coherence/

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2018-02-27 03:38:28 UTC
I'll have to look up those films to see if I have seen them. They sound familiar.
kelpzoidzl
2018-02-27 03:42:13 UTC
Coherence, yes I saw it. It was interesting and fairly well made considering it was more like a stage play. Pretty clever.

I'll look up Ghost Story.
kelpzoidzl
2018-02-27 03:47:00 UTC
Probably watched it or at lest the beginning of it. (Ghost story) I see it is on Amazon Prime. Ill look at it now.
kelpzoidzl
2018-02-28 02:15:40 UTC
I watched A Ghost Story last night. Kind of silly and lametentious but kept me interested. It vaguely reminded me of the Time Machine with the past and future. I like the pacing and some of the scenes were drawn out and clever. I liked the drawn out pie scene. I think the credits listed a Casey Affleck "double" --under the sheet?
s***@hotmail.com
2018-02-28 02:26:59 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Kind of silly and lametentious but kept me interested.
"A ghost story" borders on shoegazing, doesn't it?
Post by kelpzoidzl
I think the credits listed a Casey Affleck "double" --under the sheet?
That credit is there because Affleck acted under the sheet, with the art director doubling for him in those shots with the second-generation ghost. The Blu-ray has a good commentary and extras.

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-01 01:43:51 UTC
Showgazing from the stage?

The Ghost barely moves from his spot. Very non-mobile. The other Ghost was also stuck. When the sheet first appeared I wondered who cut the eye holes out?
s***@hotmail.com
2018-03-01 02:03:07 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Showgazing from the stage?
Shoegazing; that indie rock with loud, distorted, ethereal vocals which lull concert-goers into, "gazing at their shoes."
Post by kelpzoidzl
The Ghost barely moves from his spot. Very non-mobile. The other Ghost was also stuck.
Any sight of Affleck's feet under the sheet was digitally erased, so keeping the ghost mostly still was also a VFX budget saver.

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2018-03-01 03:56:37 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
When the sheet first appeared I wondered who cut the eye holes out?
Write-up about the ghost costume, which was more than just a sheet:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/06/a-ghost-story-costume-exclusive-david-lowery/103306232/

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2018-03-11 08:09:28 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
The protagonist even has to dress in a body suit for game motion sensing, which Kinect makes passé.
From the latest trailer I've seen for "Ready Player One", I gather that the protagonist gamer's body suit is not just for motion-detection, but for other VR players to "touch" him via sensory feedback. If I was a gamer trying to liberate the world from tyranny, I wouldn't need or want distracting/invasive sensory feedback from other players, or the VR arena itself.

Unless he's in that arena/world for recreation, sports or sex; which he'd already find in a world of industrial decay much more easily and inexpensively than his "state-of-the-art" body suit.

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-11 19:50:50 UTC
Second Life has birthed a number of other virtual world efforts.

The founder of Second Life, after leaving LInden Labs started "High Fidelity" and Linden Labs has been working on "Sansar" i have only dabbled in each, both are still primitive, without any headset.

Here is a new Philip Rosedale chat that delves into it. Both VR and AR.

Both HF and Sansar are trying to build a VR compatible Second Life that can be viewed on computers or mobile devices. They also want to be able to include Hapto technology as it develops.
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-11 20:02:02 UTC
"Blunty" a photography, game, tech reviewer with a youtube channel, finds himself in "VR Chat" in an awkward situation with a girl imitating a child and acting seductive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=4s&v=sEc6DmPyvGc
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-11 20:17:32 UTC
Policing VR worlds is going to be a major issue, but it all seems pretty hopeless and lowest common denominator.
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-11 20:36:27 UTC
Apparently Ready Player One it Premieres at SXSW tonight

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielbergs-ready-player-one-to-world-premiere-at-sxsw-1202723327/
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-13 21:37:49 UTC
Also apparently the Premiere was seriously glitched, completely crashing repeatedly and Speilberg remarked it was the most anxiety ridden moments in his life. The audience did give it a standing ovation.

The more I ponder Spielberg the more I believe my theory that everyone else was wrong about hiw Kubrick would have done the ending, including and especially Spielberg.

My Kubrickintuition, which is for whatever reason, always dogs me, tells me, that when wrestling with AI, he thought Spielberg would have given it a happy ending, where Pinocchio would become a real boy. And now ironic, that Spielberg's ending was so bleak. The more others disagree with this the more I am sure. He wanted Spielberg because he was afraid of his own bleak ideation about the future.

I find it interesting that Elon Musk has warned that "AI is more dangerous then the Nuclear threat."

On another note, I watched the new and final, Season 5 of "Bates Motel." yesterday. Very excellent and appropriate. Really fleshed out an end of the story, far better then the Psycho sequels. I think Hitchcock would have loved it.
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-29 01:36:10 UTC
Article on VR cinema, (Spielberg included) investors etc.

kelpzoidzl
2018-03-29 01:38:24 UTC
Article today about new VR Cinemas and investirs including Spielberg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/it-could-be-the-biggest-change-to-movies-since-sound-if-anyone-will-pay-for-it/2018/03/28/ab9c7808-2f69-11e8-8688-e053ba58f1e4_story.html?utm_term=.0b55d583be51
s***@hotmail.com
2018-03-29 10:00:38 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Also apparently the Premiere was seriously glitched, completely crashing repeatedly and Speilberg remarked it was the most anxiety ridden moments in his life. The audience did give it a standing ovation.
Attempted to see "Ready Player One" last night, but it turned into Cineplex auditorium gang warfare once I noticed that the movie cut from Spielberg/Kaminski cinematography and into an 8&½-minute dark/occult [*CIA/MKUltra*] sequence when the gamers pick a TS VHS with "Room 237" cover art and go TERRIBLY WRONG from there...followed-by a steely-lit James Cameron sequence and then back again to the Spielberg/Kaminski look.

In any case, the government perps dressed as ushers and security guards were hell-bent that I not stay to the end of RP1 in 65mm, which likely indicated that print had no credits (or different credits via DCP from the booth's adjacent digital projector).

If interested, I've posted the audio of Spielberg's RP1 'homage,' along with brief video of the 65mm projection at 55 Bloor West and the Wikipedia page for the "Ready Player One" novel—which has no mention of TS or Kubrick (the gamers do visit a theatre in virtual reality called, "The Overlook").

Regards,

Steve

MediaFire:
https://bit.ly/2GCDg6K
https://bit.ly/2GUkPIk
https://bit.ly/2pN16Tk

GoDaddy mirror:
https://bit.ly/2GFR0xi
https://bit.ly/2GFU4tC
https://bit.ly/2GjX4fO
kelpzoidzl
2018-03-30 16:50:16 UTC
I'll have to watch those links on real computer later. Ipad probably won't do it.

So expand on these mkuktra ushers...and the war in the cinema.