CE3K 4K 40th
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-06 00:40:03 UTC
Saw the 4K restoration of, "Close Encounters of The Third Kind," and it's very well-done. So pristine, you can clearly see the penciled-in, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" for François Truffaut to play on his little keyboard.

Anyway, that five-tone sequence being Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra" tone poem in reverse, and Wyoming's Devil's Tower being the monolith, never seem to be called-out as direct lifts from 2001:aso; even forty-years on.

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-06 00:53:49 UTC
It's a great film. I love the duck scene best.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-08 03:08:22 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
I love the duck scene best.
The 4K restoration I saw was the director's cut, so that scene was there. Cineplex gave it just the one screen here, but it was their UltraAVX (which is higher-quality than LieMAX, IMO).

https://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/UltraAVX

This article goes into the CE3K restoration and upcoming 4K HDR Blu-ray:

http://tinyurl.com/y9zcdzlk

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-12 13:29:57 UTC
I noticed Close Encounters is playing in Hollywood. But could find nothing about it being a special release.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-13 16:29:13 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
I noticed Close Encounters is playing in Hollywood. But could find nothing about it being a special release.
It's the 40th 4K restoration:

Hollywood Arclight : http://tinyurl.com/y86cblky

AMC L.A. & Burbank: http://tinyurl.com/y95ku5ph

The 4K Blu-ray arriving next week has two configurations:

$21: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LWR8XD/

$49: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WMDDG6

Also, a new book on CE3K's production (similar to those for "Alien" and "Back to the Future" with replica memorabilia inserts):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062692992/

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-13 17:28:48 UTC
I had looked up the weekend movies on move fone saw Close Encounters, clcked on it but no other info. Didnt pursue it since I knew I couldnt be going anywhere.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-27 19:44:35 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
$49: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WMDDG6
I purchased the CE3K 4K 40th limited edition and it's quite nice. Book is basically identical to that from the 30th anniversary Blu-ray, however, and I doubt the battery is easily replaced. Someone's posted how the box art lights-up and sounds:

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-28 05:43:50 UTC
The comments on Anazon are interesting. Is the grain really big? Is the color extra saturated?

Does this one have that ending inside the ship? Never was happy with that.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-28 06:59:53 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
The comments on Anazon are interesting. Is the grain really big? Is the color extra saturated?
Per the restorations of "Jaws," "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "E.T.", a very balanced image. No obvious color grading manipulation. Mostly pristine with hardly any grainy shots. A perfect restoration, IMO.
Post by kelpzoidzl
Does this one have that ending inside the ship? Never was happy with that.
It's all three versions: original release, re-release and director's cut.

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-28 18:03:20 UTC
Sounds good. I think i'll buy it.