So long Michael Cimino...Re: Cimino's Heaven's Gate
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-03 19:45:41 UTC
Watching Heaven's Gate in memoriam.

Today, binge watching long mvies is common. In 1980 it was taboo. It seems there were worses at work, actively seeking to destroy the film.

Something about the message.

So RIP Michael Cimino. We barely got to know you.
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-03 21:10:45 UTC
I remember the article in the LA times, Calender section that destroyed the Film and Cimino.

The film wasn't even ready before it was purposefully destroyed and UA with it.

So here's todays article in the Times and various Twitter comments.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-michael-cimino-20160702-snap-htmlstory.html

Obviously Cimino was channeling Kubrick in many ways. It's almost as if Heaven's Gate is the Western film, Kubrick never made. Perhaps Cimino should have moved to England too.

Kubrick and Lean somehow navigated the oppressive, Hollywood machne, much better than Cimino was able too.

Was he too uncompromising, or was it Ego? Or was it just a case of a brilliant director not given the credit as an artist in an appropriate way? Some say it was disliked by the US government or the New World Order? Why did Harvard refuse it's use as a set, causing Cimino to shoot the Harvard scenes at Oxford?

I can't remember off hand what Kubrick ever said about Cimino or vice-versa, I vaguely remember some mentions.
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-03 21:13:12 UTC
One could say, Heavens Gate was one of the first, "Virtual Reality" movies. Or a Time Machine?
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-03 21:21:10 UTC
Variety article

Amazing how the tide did turn and at his death, Hollywood eats crow.

http://variety.com/2016/film/columns/michael-cimino-the-deer-hunter-heavens-gate-1201808079/
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-03 21:23:34 UTC
Omg the rape scene is hardcore.
kelpzoidzl
2016-07-04 00:52:44 UTC
Final Cimino interview (2015 ) Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-cimino-full-uncensored-hollywood-778288