"Lawrence What?! Lawrence of Arabia?!!"
ichorwhip
2005-03-13 09:08:58 UTC
<Hijacked thread, from Buffy to LOA>

<snip>
They always trip themselves up sooner or later, Ich.
Too true Boaz. And like, um, like, um, I really wanted to talk about
Buffy. ;)
Well, there was the intriguing question as to why Arabs would
listen to a gay albino...
"Well, whoever you are, I overheard your last remark, and I take the
gravest possible exception. He was a very great man."
As you already know, Ich, he was neither.
Well El Awrence certainly deserves to be remembered as anything other
than a "gay albino." I'm sure we agree on that. The Middle East
is different because of T.E.Lawrence, Saudi Arabia in particular. He
helped bring the mighty Beduin into the modern world(a place which
Feisal definitely saw as a necessity). Lawrence is best known because
of his histories and the publicity attached to him through the American
press, but there were many others much more involved in what the area
has come to be. Lawrence was very modest in "7 Pillars" and gives
all the credit due to the various historic players involved in the Arab
Revolt(let's remember, all Arabs are not bad, I'd insist on being
called "Arabian" myself as the word "Arab" gets thrown around
today like it's "nigger"; sorry I felt I needed to preach a few
words of tolerance to all the ignorant prejudicial cattle in the world
who will never read this, never you Boaz).

Not that Lawrence's true exploits are anything but extraordinary.
David Lean in the process of making one of the enduring cinematic
masterpieces of the art certainly dramatized and moved facts around to
make the film work. We don't have 2 years to watch a movie
unfortunately. The story rings of the truth in LOA, but it gongs with
artistry and imagination. It may just be my favorite film if such a
thing can be said. I can't understand how anyone claiming to like
ANY film, can honestly say they don't like it. It represents so
much. I treasure my special edition LOA, a GREAT DVD.

It is true Lawrence had a
rather peculiar view of sex, but he was not gay in the true sense.
"...and he was the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and
Bailey" ? ? ? ;)

Of course Lawrence's sexual orientation is rather immaterial when
considering him as an important historical figure. He did have a
rather unfortunate run in with some in Turks in Deraa all told. Cough
cough cough
I guess you've never read the "7 Pillars of Wisdom" then. Not even
the first pillar is evident in your moronic response.
"Lays it on a bit thick, doesn't he?"
Rather.
"He wouldn't know an interesting face from a sow's belly."
"Cough, cough, cough! -- Beat him!"
Boaz
("I don't like the name Lawrence! Only faggots and sailors are called
Lawrence!")

"Sir, we can't just do nothing!"
"Why not? It's usually best."
ichorwhip
"peace is our profession"
Boaz
2005-03-13 19:16:05 UTC
Post by ichorwhip
<Hijacked thread, from Buffy to LOA>
<snip>
They always trip themselves up sooner or later, Ich.
Too true Boaz. And like, um, like, um, I really wanted to talk about
Buffy. ;)
Fer shure! ;-) As if some TV show like that has a place on this
newsgroup, especially among cinematic geniuses as Kubrick and Lean --
to name two.
Post by ichorwhip
Well, there was the intriguing question as to why Arabs would
listen to a gay albino...
Yes, I believe made by the same moron who gets his kicks out of
watching people die of heart attacks. His favorite TV show is prolly
"America's Funniest Siezures." I think tonight they are showcasing
people having strokes, finishing off with Edward Herrmann as FDR (once
again), recreating the president's cerebral hemmorage. Maybe this guy
will laugh so hard *he* will drop dead of one, do us all a favor.
Post by ichorwhip
"Well, whoever you are, I overheard your last remark, and I take the
gravest possible exception. He was a very great man."
A great bit of irony, as we find out some three and a half hours later.
Post by ichorwhip
As you already know, Ich, he was neither.
Well El Awrence certainly deserves to be remembered as anything other
than a "gay albino." I'm sure we agree on that.
Does this asshole really know what an albino looks like? Johnny Winter
(or his brother Edgar), anyone?
Post by ichorwhip
press, but there were many others much more involved in what the area
has come to be. Lawrence was very modest in "7 Pillars" and gives
all the credit due to the various historic players involved in the Arab
Revolt(let's remember, all Arabs are not bad, I'd insist on being
called "Arabian" myself as the word "Arab" gets thrown around
today like it's "nigger"; sorry I felt I needed to preach a few
words of tolerance to all the ignorant prejudicial cattle in the world
who will never read this, never you Boaz).
I know. "Ignorant prejudicial cattle" is right. It's kind of scary to
think how much more ignorant people are these days, and so willing to
show off their ignorance in a newsgroup. For people like that it is
much easier to dismiss a great film like LOA than to admit they didn't
understand what was going on, or the history of the Arab Revolt, or
even the history of Islam itself. For them it is best to simply blame
the film and filmmakers for making the mistakes. And when you take the
combined educational and professional experience of those key people
involved in the production (producer, director, screenwriters, for
example), the collective intelligence at work is staggering, obviously
lost on those who cannot see past one grain of sand.
Post by ichorwhip
Not that Lawrence's true exploits are anything but extraordinary.
David Lean in the process of making one of the enduring cinematic
masterpieces of the art certainly dramatized and moved facts around to
make the film work.
As any dramatic representation would do, whether it would be an opera
or a stage play. Film, however, receives most of the harsh criticism by
those who feel the artist is playing around with the "facts." I think
it is because these "critics" (which can be anybody: high school
teachers, college professors -- academics of all types, even those who
can raise their knuckles up from the ground long enough to type some
snide, snarky comments on Internet newsgroups) still don't take film
seriously as an art form, still seeing it as a bastard child of theater
and literature. This stage version of ACO you provided the link to is a
good example of that. It's just those crazy nutcases out in Hollywood,
right? ;-)
Post by ichorwhip
We don't have 2 years to watch a movie
unfortunately. The story rings of the truth in LOA, but it gongs with
artistry and imagination. It may just be my favorite film if such a
thing can be said. I can't understand how anyone claiming to like
ANY film, can honestly say they don't like it. It represents so
much. I treasure my special edition LOA, a GREAT DVD.
I often get suspicious of some people who say they like film. Usually,
after my questioning them of what films they really like, I find out
they don't know a helluva lot after all. They are film "fans," people
who like the latest stuff and don't know much about film beyond the
past five years. I love it when I ask them about the collective works
of Kurosawa and they draw only blank stares. But, then, one only has to
look at the list of the top box office draws to see what shit people
really like to see these days.

On the other hand, I'm sure the person dissing LOA knows little of the
subject matter, and one would be hard pressed to get him to even look
at a copy of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Some people feel more
empowered revelling in their ignorance.
Post by ichorwhip
It is true Lawrence had a
rather peculiar view of sex, but he was not gay in the true sense.
"...and he was the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and
Bailey" ? ? ? ;)
Another ironic statement, or that is, a statement that shows to have
irony much later on in the film.
Post by ichorwhip
Of course Lawrence's sexual orientation is rather immaterial when
considering him as an important historical figure.
I know. "Gay albino"? Who gives a shit if Lawrence was a Black Irish
dwarf, or a Scottish humpback who walked with a limp and spoke with a
lisp? What the fuck difference does it make, considering Lawrence's
contribution to bringing the Arab world into the 20th century? Such
blunt dismissals only reveal the true stupidity of those who make such
statements.
Post by ichorwhip
He did have a
rather unfortunate run in with some in Turks in Deraa all told.
Cough
Post by ichorwhip
cough cough
Yes, but he wasn't exactly going into Deraa looking for some Saturday
night action, if I may be so bold, sir. What happened to him was more
along the lines of Abu Grhiab, only in this case Lawrence was
"serenaded" by an all-male chorus, none of the likes of Ms. English to
be found anywhere.
Post by ichorwhip
I guess you've never read the "7 Pillars of Wisdom" then. Not even
the first pillar is evident in your moronic response.
"Lays it on a bit thick, doesn't he?"
Rather.
Bloody wog. Sorry, that would be an insult to all the other wogs.
Post by ichorwhip
"He wouldn't know an interesting face from a sow's belly."
"Cough, cough, cough! -- Beat him!"
Boaz
("I don't like the name Lawrence! Only faggots and sailors are called
Lawrence!")
"Sir, we can't just do nothing!"
"Why not? It's usually best."
ichorwhip
"peace is our profession"
Boaz
("No, Dryden, this is going to be fun." "It is recognized that you have
a funny sense of fun.")
Yelps
2005-03-13 19:54:44 UTC
Post by Boaz
Post by ichorwhip
<Hijacked thread, from Buffy to LOA>
<snip>
They always trip themselves up sooner or later, Ich.
Too true Boaz. And like, um, like, um, I really wanted to talk about
Buffy. ;)
Fer shure! ;-) As if some TV show like that has a place on this
newsgroup, especially among cinematic geniuses as Kubrick and Lean --
to name two.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Buffy is not just "some TV show" anymore then Lawrance is about "sand" or
Zhivago is about "snow" Joss Whedon is a brilliant guy and there are very
few of them to go around. I would expect that Kubrick fans would realize
this, but that is too much to ask on Usenet.. Had I not began to watch
these box sets I myself wouldn't have believed it. I had preconceived ideas
abiout the show. Right off the bat it references Kubrick and continues to
so so throughout. Discussion on Buffy on this sacred newsgroup is more
relevent then most discussion found here.

dc
a funny sense of fun.")
ichorwhip
2005-03-14 00:18:25 UTC
Post by Yelps
so so throughout. Discussion on Buffy on this sacred newsgroup is more
relevent then most discussion found here.
dc
You're getting bent out of shape over nothing Usenet man. I've never
seen "Buffy". Maybe I will sometime. Who knows? I might not even
need to be force fed on it! You can talk about whatever the fuck on
this "sacred newsgroup" as you call it. I'm sure I don't care. If I'd
only seen "Buffy".........

"piop"
Yelps
2005-03-14 01:04:39 UTC
Post by Yelps
relevent then most discussion found here.
dc
You're getting bent out of shape over nothing Usenet man. I've never
seen "Buffy". Maybe I will sometime. Who knows? I might not even
need to be force fed on it! You can talk about whatever the fuck on
this "sacred newsgroup" as you call it. I'm sure I don't care. If I'd
only seen "Buffy".........
"piop"
Not exactly bent out of shape.

Not exactly being force fed either.

I am watching this incredible thing. now in season five....and it just
keeps blowing my mind. in my life it's taken Kubrick, Lean, or Tarkovsky
to blow my mind. This is a mind blower.

Now do you feel force fed?

dc
ichorwhip
YES!!!
Yelps
2005-03-14 01:33:53 UTC
Post by Yelps
to blow my mind. This is a mind blower.
Now do you feel force fed?
YES!!!
lol. Perhaps the Ludovico treatment while being forced to watch Buffy would
put things in perspective, but I'm out of eyedrops.

dc
Your Pal Brian
2005-03-14 05:11:48 UTC
Post by Boaz
"Well, whoever you are, I overheard your last remark, and I take
the
gravest possible exception. He was a very great man."
A great bit of irony, as we find out some three and a half hours later.
"I didn't know him well, you know."

LoA used to be my vote for best film ever, too, until Intolerance pipped it
at the post.
Post by Boaz
Film, however, receives most of the harsh criticism by
those who feel the artist is playing around with the "facts." I think
it is because these "critics" (which can be anybody: high school
teachers, college professors -- academics of all types, even those who
can raise their knuckles up from the ground long enough to type some
snide, snarky comments on Internet newsgroups) still don't take film
seriously as an art form, still seeing it as a bastard child of theater
and literature.
Oh gawd tell me about it! I usually tell people like that to go watch
Vampyr and call me in the morning.

Brian