A Clockwork Orange commemorative plaque - at "Flatblock Marina"
Alex May
2007-03-09 01:00:28 UTC
For fans of A Clockwork Orange; I swung by Canterbury House (location of
Alex's Flatblock Marina flat in the film) to have a look at the
commemorative plaque that was unveiled in December of 2006. I only had a
mobile phone camera - it was dark, windy and raining. The pics were lit up
by my car's headlights. Promise I'll take a proper camera in the daytime,
sometime soon.

More importantly, is this the first ever plaque that commemorates something
that Stanley Kubrick did? And then only because the building was
refurbished? Hope not. Anyone know otherwise?

That weird mural was made shortly after the film was released. No, there
isn't any 'Dignity Of Labour with nagoy vecks' mural as per the book & film.
It's positioned 17 floors directly below the window of Alex's room.

I've put some pics up at:
http://www.chairmanconsulting.com/ACO_at_Canterbury/

Flat number 100 is the one.

Plaque reads:

Ridgehill Housing association
A member of the ...

============================

Canterbury house refurbishment 2004-2006

Location site of scenes from
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
(1971)

A film directed by Stanley Kubrick (1928 - 1999) founder member of the
directors guild of Great Britain and recipient of its lifetime Achievement
Award 1999

Plaque unveiled by
James Clappison

============================

Newspaper Article:

Flat scheme goes like clockwork
By Tommy Norton

A Borehamwood tower block made famous by the 1970s cult film A Clockwork
Orange has been overhauled thanks to a £5 million refurbishment.

Canterbury House, in Stratfield Road, was part of the set for Stanley
Kubrick's controversial masterpiece in 1971, and to mark the completion of
the improvements, a mosaic celebrating the film has been restored to its
former glory.

Ridgehill Housing Association has spent the past 17 months fitting all 102
of the 1960s two-bedroom flats with new kitchens, bathrooms and central
heating in order to meet the Government's Decent Homes Standard.

The outside has also been transformed with double-glazed windows, balconies
and cladding.

On Friday, a plaque was unveiled by Hertsmere MP James Clappison to
commemorate the completion of the works and the restoration of the Clockwork
Orange mosaic.

The film's anti-hero Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell, had an apartment at
the top of a block of flats in Canterbury House, near Elstree Studios, where
the production was based. At the time of filming the owners were put up in a
hotel. Some sequences from the film were also shot in Shenley and Radlett.

Former builder Bob McClintock, 64, has lived at Canterbury House for the
past eight years.

He said: "I cannot believe the difference the work has made, it is
absolutely marvellous and you wouldn't know it was the same place. At night
the building looks so much better all lit up, and when you walk into the
reception, you would think it was a high-class hotel."

Ian Morrison, asset manager at Ridgehill, said: "The unveiling of the
commemorative plaque next to the mosaic signals the completion of the first
phase of Ridgehill's £12 million investment in the Stratfield Road estate.

"Works are programmed to continue until 2010, by which time the whole estate
will have benefited from considerable investment to bring the properties up
to modern standard."
Boaz
2007-03-09 01:57:34 UTC
Post by Alex May
[...]
Alex, thanks for sharing these photos with us.

I've never heard of too many locations that commemorated any film that
was made there, let alone any location where Kubrick directed a film.
When I first visited the Hearst Castle in '95 the tour guide talked
about the estate, especially the Roman pool, as being used briefly in
"Spartacus," but she only mentioned Tony Curtis' name, of all people!
(A portion of the exterior of the estate and the Roman pool were used
to show the opulence in which Olivier's character, Crassius, lived.)

I look forward to your next batch of photographs of the refurbished
building.

Boaz
("Where I lived was with my dadda and mum in municipal flatblock 18a
Linear North.")
Don Stockbauer
2007-03-09 12:13:29 UTC
The morals of contemporary youth. "If you want pretty polly, you just
pluck it from the nearest chicken."

"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

HAND

- Stuckenfuhrer
Don Stockbauer
2007-03-09 13:06:14 UTC
No hard feelings? After all, this is just useless, meaningless
cyberspace.
Don Stockbauer
2007-03-09 13:08:33 UTC
All of cyberspace has less worth than an acre of Texas ranchland.
Alex May
2007-03-09 14:24:12 UTC
Bit of a pain in the gulliver, brother? I mean Sir... Oh yes, the evening's
the great time to post in the forum. Oh of course, nobody can prove anything
about off-topic posts as usual... But I'm warning you, young Stockbauer, as
your forum post adviser it will be the strippy firewall for you... The
emails have gotten through to me by the usual channels... Yes? Next time
it's not going to be the post corrective spell-checker for you... And all my
work ruined. There was some nastiness posted last night in the forum... Some
of Billyboy's feelings were ambulanced off... What's all this clever talk
about grown naked men just because the millicents haven't 'picked you up'
lately? If you have no respect for this forum at least have some respect for
me, YEEESSSSS? A big black mark for every irrelevant post, a confession of
failure. All ending up in the kill file trash can, yessssss?

I need some speeded up sex.

;-)
Post by Don Stockbauer
No hard feelings? After all, this is just useless, meaningless
cyberspace.
All of cyberspace has less worth than an acre of Texas ranchland.
And...
- Stuckenfuhrer
Don Stockbauer
2007-03-09 18:19:51 UTC
Post by Don Stockbauer
The morals of contemporary youth. "If you want pretty polly, you just
pluck it from the nearest chicken."
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"
HAND
- Stuckenfuhrer- Hide quoted text -
Yes, Sir. Gald to meet you. You're my forum post adviser???? Well,
that has a lot of authority. In the future I will try to control my
temper and not go the path of young Alex, that is, at least until the
System "reformed" him.

I don't know if you're familiar with "The sad story" (as my father
would have said) of my interchanges with this group. It started out
with Mr. Reid calling me less than intelliegent for stating that one
will get dizzy in zero gee if spun around rapidly. Then a later
negative interchange invoved Mr. Yelps' ideas on Eastern Mysticism
which I did not agree with. So. I tell you what. I am willing to
bury the hatchet and attempt to provide meaningful input to the
discussion if everyone will just calm down and be friends. I have my
own ideas about what Stanley was trying to tell us. We can all
benefit from a calm discussion. Perhaps you may serve as a go-
between, Mr. May. I shall be monitoring the future posts to see
people's attitudes. Thank you.
Don Stockbauer
2007-03-10 12:16:15 UTC
Post by Don Stockbauer
[...]
"dave, the previous posting is now inoperative.

COMPUTER MALFUNCTION

COMPUTERMALFUNCTION

OMG THE MALFUNCTION HAS SPREAT TO SHY ANN MOUNTIN' OMG ALL THE
FUCKING MISSILES ARE BEING LAUNCHED! OMG EWE MEAN THEY [TM] DID UNT
DISARM????? WHAT FUCKING FOOLS!!!!!!!! AND THEY ALSO TREATED
STOCKBAUER LIKE SHIT????? THAT'S EVEN WORSE.

ERROR 8282726 LIFE FUNCTIONS TERMINATED FOR 6E9 FORMER SOULS.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

- HOWL 9E3