The Shining-Japanese version?
earl volmering
2005-11-24 22:23:20 UTC
If anyone knows where to find this, please email me:

***@hotmail.com
The Man With No Name
2005-11-25 07:52:47 UTC
Is that the one were Wendy ends up injecting Jack with a drug to induce
paralysis, then tortures him with acupuncture needles before cutting off his
foot with piano-wire?
Wordsmith
2005-11-25 19:51:59 UTC
Eeooo. You saw *Audition* too? That film creeped me out something
fierce.

Zip
2005-11-25 21:57:06 UTC
Post by Wordsmith
Eeooo. You saw *Audition* too? That film
creeped me out something fierce.
kiri kiri kiri kiri

-Paul.
Mat Hunt
2005-11-25 11:18:37 UTC
Post by earl volmering
If anyone knows where to find this, please email me
The film is available to buy in Japan, but there is no unique Japanese
version.

Mat.
g***@gmail.com
2005-11-26 17:27:47 UTC
In the Japanese version, does Scatman Crothers still play a Kung Fu
expert and does it all end with a foam-party in a junk yard full of
people-eating garbage trucks??
DS
2005-11-27 00:02:07 UTC
You must be thinking of Black Belt Jones and Soylent Green.
g***@gmail.com
2005-11-28 09:20:41 UTC
It was... a... j o k e
The Contrast
2005-11-28 13:12:30 UTC
I heard about the old Japanese laserdisc release of TS somewhere online
being 156 mins long. The major differences were that the killing of
Scatman Crothers character was a lot gorier and the inclusion of the
end hospital scene I believe. Sure are interested in tracking this
down...
Bryce Utting
2005-11-29 08:50:12 UTC
Post by The Contrast
I heard about the old Japanese laserdisc release of TS somewhere online
being 156 mins long.
That length counts both the International version (119 minutes), and
Vivian's "Making 'The Shining'" (35 minutes), with the 2 minute
difference -- a very rough figure, given running lengths -- being due
to the way the laserdisc's presented, as I understand it.

(not that I've ever seen one, note.)
Post by The Contrast
The major differences were that the killing of
Scatman Crothers character was a lot gorier
But that makes little sense -- it's a very, very quick action, there's
nothing at all to see once it's happened (and if we -did- see his body
afterwards in closeup, the crash zoom later when Wendy finds him
wouldn't have any impact at all), and if you pay attention to the way
the scene's edited to the soundtrack there's simply no way anything's
missing: the film and score match, with no odd missed beats.
Post by The Contrast
and the inclusion of the
end hospital scene I believe.
Nope, that's never been seen anywhere since it was cut during the
initial release week, and if it's been transferred to any other
medium it'd be a huge surprise to anyone who's researched it.
Post by The Contrast
Sure are interested in tracking this
down...
Well, you -could-, but the only reason I'd see for anyone wanting that
one in particular is because they've got copies of both versions sold
in all other formats (and even zones, if they're nutso collectors),
and want to round out their collection...

Sorry to disappoint you!

butting
--
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
then it's because I am.
-- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
The Contrast
2005-11-29 11:59:12 UTC
Well Im quoting the IMDB alternate versions page here for TS:
"Reportedly, Halloran's death scene as filmed is not the one we
actually see. The one filmed depicts a much longer, much more graphic
death. In its entirety, the scene lasts almost seventy seconds, and is
full of gore. Rather then just run up and hit him as seen in the
released version, Jack instead runs up, hits him in the back of the
head. Halloran screams. Jack pulls the ax back, and then slams the
spike on the back of the ax into the base of Halloran's spine. Halloran
screams and recoils, and then Jack slams the ax into his back and he
falls down. Halloran rolls onto his back and is looking up, and Jack
starts to beat him with the ax before he "hears" something and leaves
(Halloran rolling onto his back before Jack beat him is why in the
uncut version we see Halloran on his back with blood when Wendy finds
him, rather then on his face like we see him fall)."
This fits in with what I read about the Japanese disc but of course it
may be utter nonsense and just some wishful speculation from whoever
wrote about it (wish I could remember the jap. disc site).
Regarding the running time differences, Japanese laserdiscs are NTSC
and as far I know laserdiscs werent compressed in transfer. But yes
running times on home video formats are always a questionable affair.
The IMDB goes on to say: "According to someone, there were some prints
of the film containing a longer sequence in which Halloran is killed,
but in fact the only version of this scene still exisitng is the one
contained in the Usa/Canada version, and in the 115 version." So it
probably doesnt exist but I would still pick up a copy of the Jap. disc
if I ever see one...
The Contrast
2005-11-29 15:22:22 UTC
Gorn Captain
2005-11-29 18:39:10 UTC
I have the old Japanese LD. It's the U.S. cut as far as I can tell. The
only noticable differences are a bit of censorship in the Room 237
scene,(a black dot covers the ghost's umentionables!) and the closing
credits are the same color as the opening.
The Contrast
2005-11-30 03:11:05 UTC
Gorn Captain said
Nov 29, 6:39 pm show options
I have the old Japanese LD. It's the U.S. cut as far as I can tell.
I guess that settles it, oh well. Was just a nice thought that there
might be more footage from my favourite film out there somewhere...
Mikko Pihkoluoma
2005-11-30 00:26:36 UTC
Post by The Contrast
Strangely, IMDB actually list this as the official lengths of the movie
on the main TS page
Runtime: 119 min / Japan:154 min (uncut version) / USA:146 min
(original version)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0081505/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9c2hpbmluZ3xmdD0xfG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxjbz0xfGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=52;fm=1
First things first: IMDB IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. There are countless errors
in the site (even though in general it's a very useful site) and they
are quite lazy and slow at tracking down real sources if someone
suggests there is an error (that's not to say we sholdn't correct them).

I've never heard of this Japanese version but it simply sounds bollocks.
It makes no sense when watching the US version. Where is the blood
coming from the head wound on this
be more blood? Why would Kubrick make a different cut for Japan? The
gore doesn't even fit into the film's style. I'm sorry to disappoint you
but it simply doesn't sound plausible at all.
mikko dot pihkoluoma at helsinki dot fi
Wordsmith
2005-11-30 03:29:08 UTC
Post by The Contrast
Strangely, IMDB actually list this as the official lengths of the movie
on the main TS page
Runtime: 119 min / Japan:154 min (uncut version) / USA:146 min
(original version)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0081505/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9c2hpbmluZ3xmdD0xfG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxjbz0xfGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=52;fm=1
Why would Kubrick make a different cut for Japan?

If the Yazuka ordered him to I'll bet he would.

W ; )
a***@gmail.com
2005-12-02 01:27:20 UTC
Post by Bryce Utting
Post by The Contrast
The major differences were that the killing of
Scatman Crothers character was a lot gorier
But that makes little sense -- it's a very, very quick action, there's
nothing at all to see once it's happened (and if we -did- see his body
afterwards in closeup, the crash zoom later when Wendy finds him
wouldn't have any impact at all), and if you pay attention to the way
the scene's edited to the soundtrack there's simply no way anything's
missing: the film and score match, with no odd missed beats.
butting
--
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
then it's because I am.
-- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
There was actually an extended version of the Hallorann death scene,
but it was ultimately edited - there is even some (quite old)
discussion about it in the AMK archives by Gordon Stainforth, where it
was confirmed as having existed, but as I recall he declined to give
specific information about it. I also recall him saying something like
it was "one of the most shocking things he'd ever seen".

Addison