Doc on Leon Vitali "Filmworker" screens at Cannes Classics 2017
s***@hotmail.com
2017-05-10 23:49:15 UTC
http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/fiscalsponsorship/projects/filmworker/

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/cannes-classics-2017-lineup-belle-de-jour-stanley-kubrick-doc-all-that-jazz-1201811959/

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-05-11 17:20:47 UTC
The first link appears to be broken

Wow. I'll look forward to seeing this.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-05-11 19:03:51 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
The first link appears to be broken
Try this, instead:

http://tinyurl.com/k4vmdzj

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2017-05-23 23:33:57 UTC
"Filmworker" Cannes reviews:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/filmworker-review-cannes-stanley-kubrick-1202433481/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/filmworker-review-1004939

While in Cannes, Vitali confirmed that BL is being restored in 4K, to be followed by other SK Warner titles.

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-05-25 08:05:14 UTC
Where, when!? To see this... This is exciting,
s***@hotmail.com
2017-06-16 08:02:11 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Where, when!? To see this... This is exciting,
A new website and FB page (lots of good photos), but no release date as yet:

http://filmworker.com/

https://twitter.com/SK13movie

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2017-07-18 01:08:54 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
While in Cannes, Vitali confirmed that BL is being restored in 4K, to be followed by other SK Warner titles.
Criterion has announced the 4K restoration of BL for October 17, 2017, with many new and extensive extras:

https://www.criterion.com/films/29008-barry-lyndon/

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-07-19 00:00:33 UTC
I'll probably go the 70mm route.
kelpzoidzl
2017-07-19 00:11:52 UTC
Whoops last comment intended on the Dunkirk convo.

For the new BL I guess it's time to start looking at the new players.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-07-19 17:41:39 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
For the new BL I guess it's time to start looking at the new players.
No 4K Blu-ray announced as yet, but Criterion's addressed the Warner aspect ratio debacle and presented BL in 1.66:1.

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-20 03:54:44 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
No 4K Blu-ray announced as yet, but Criterion's addressed the Warner aspect ratio debacle and presented BL in 1.66:1.
Review of Criterion's BL Blu-ray with screen captures:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/barry_lyndon_blu-ray.htm

Criterion certainly used Warner's mastering as a template for the 4K transfer, as it's almost identical when down-sampled to 1080p. Obviously, it will look more improved if/when Criterion begins releasing in 4K UHD. The extras disc seems like the real draw to this BL release.

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-25 23:32:21 UTC
Good news.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-10-17 22:49:26 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
While in Cannes, Vitali confirmed that BL is being restored in 4K, to be followed by other SK Warner titles.
Criterion is having a flash sale until 12pm 2017/10/18, just in time for the release of BL:

https://www.criterion.com/films/29008-barry-lyndon ($19.99)

https://www.criterion.com/sale

Regards,

Steve

s***@hotmail.com
2017-08-29 00:44:22 UTC
Still no video release for "Filmworker," but it's playing NYFF on October 3rd and 4th:

https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2017/films/filmworker/

Also, PIXAR's Lee Unkrich has shown an AICN blogger scanned 35mm frames from the excised ending of TS, and another deleted scene with Danny, from the SK archives.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78439

I do hope the stills will eventually be published on Unkrich's TS site. Love his mannequin of Jack Torrence with the genuine TS slate and prop axe.

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-09-02 02:22:35 UTC
Nothing on Amazon yet.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-09-02 02:26:56 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Nothing on Amazon yet.
I contacted the "Filmworker" website months ago for a release date, and received no response. Likely awaiting a distributor (thus, NYFF screenings).

Steve
s***@hotmail.com
2017-10-08 01:06:41 UTC
On Friday, 1 September 2017 22:26:57 UTC-4, ***@hotmail.com wrote:

Some photos, and a review of "Filmworker," from the NYFF:

http://tinyurl.com/y7as6q9p

https://thefilmstage.com/reviews/nyff-review-filmworker-fails-to-probe-the-man-behind-stanley-kubrick/

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-08 18:19:59 UTC
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stanley-kubricks-right-hand-man-speaks-the-personal-toll-of-working-with-a-genius
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-09 00:32:06 UTC
Off topic: Turner Classic Movies is currently showing, "Return of Dracula," 1958....

Don't recall ever seeing it.

It has "the Shining Theme" blasting from the beginning and played over and over. Not the same orchestration, but faster and more intense.

Is a stylish film, ***@w not a hammer film.
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-09 01:33:51 UTC
Gerald Fried from Paths of Glory did the score for Return of Dracula and it's quite good. ....a double Kubrick whammy.
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-09 01:42:27 UTC
Its odd Gerald Frieds version of DIES IRAE is not included in the wikipedia list of uses.
s***@hotmail.com
2017-10-09 03:42:36 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Its odd Gerald Frieds version of DIES IRAE is not included in the wikipedia list of uses.
Wikipedia also doesn't mention, "The car" (1977), where "Dies Irae" was used for the opening credits; sounding quite a bit like the opening credits of TS.

I always wondered if SK had seen "The car" on TV, where it frequently played on late shows in the late 70s (here, at least).

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-09 15:18:33 UTC
Well maybe some wikipedia editing should be done...i feel lazy though, how about you?
s***@hotmail.com
2017-10-10 01:05:44 UTC
Post by kelpzoidzl
Well maybe some wikipedia editing should be done...i feel lazy though, how about you?
I have no idea where all these Wikipedia editors come from, really. I remember Matthew Dickenson posting here that he was deliberately screwing with Wikipedia pages, and was banned as a result. There's also been a number of times government I.P. addresses were found modifying pages to suit their ideologies.

Regards,

Steve
kelpzoidzl
2017-10-12 08:43:59 UTC
It's not hard to edit wikipedia. MI've done it a few times but not for years. If your post is just facts and not controversial there is no problem.